The top 10 kitchen tools to own are extensive and chosen carefully. There are many products in the market, but we must select what is necessary. You don’t have to buy a beater only because it’s 50% off, but you will not use it in the end. Picking an unnecessary item would only occupy some space in our kitchen. It could also an added expense on our budget rather than being an investment.
In this article, we will present the right kitchen tool for everyday lives. A kitchen tool that you couldn’t live without it. Aside from that, these top 10 kitchen tools to own help your life prepare meals for the love of your life. Having a vast choice of products, we narrow and filter the best kitchen tools. Here are they.
These top 10 kitchen tools offer different prices, qualities, and performance. However, the result would only the same: to serve its owner on their daily needs. Read more about their guides and uses as you go further.
What are the top 10 kitchen tools?
Kitchen tools are the things we use to prepare meals, whether on occasions or in our daily lives. A good kitchen knife, for instance, is useful in peeling, chopping, and other cutting tasks. Also, using the right kitchen tools for specific tasks ensure easy preparation and exact cooking tasks.
Here is the list of top kitchen tools that you must own for authentic cooking and dining tasks.
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Cookware Set
- Kitchen utensils
- Steel grater
- Food storage containers
- Pepper mills
If you have these top 10 kitchen tools, you wouldn’t have a food preparation problem. To get the best performance from these items, the best thing to do is know how to determine who possessed the high-quality.
You may be surprised by the large numbers of cooking tools but always remember there’s a star among them. The best kitchen tool would still stand out, and that’s our goal: have the top among the best.
So how do we know if it’s ‘the one’? The answer is easy. Know the essential factors connected to our cooking or dining purpose. To learn more info, continue to read as we will discuss every buying guide of each kitchen tool we recommend.
Top 10 Kitchen Tools: Ultimate Buying Guide
To lessen your agony to identify and distinguish each of our recommended products, we arrange each kitchen tool’s data. We are so excited to show our well-research data about them and help you make your decision. You don’t have to be bothered by quality and durability; we ensured that everyone possessed the best features.
So to cut everything short, let us start to discuss each kitchen tool.
The chef’s knife or the ‘cook’s knife is the most crucial tool in the kitchen. We couldn’t imagine a cooking life without this. Though we may have an alternative, there’s nothing that could beat its cutting, peeling and chopping performance.
Generally, the difference between a Chef’s knife to all other types of the knife is the size and purpose. The blade is frequently 7 inches long. Compare to utility and paring knife; a chef knife is ideal for slicing meat and more giant foods.
Things to consider in buying a Chef Knife
Some things must consider in buying a chef knife. We must admit, the first thing we saw in a product is its physical appearance. If we got instantly attracted to a specific product, then let us use that feature to check more on other vital factors. Here is the next thing we must check-in chef knife that caught your attention.
- Size – A chef knife’s size must have a minimum length of 7 inches and not exceed 10 inches. You can also consider 8 inches, which is the standard and preferred size by almost all end-user. Within this size, always remember that it is much effective to cut more meat and flexibility.
- Weight – this feature must also check-in buying this tool. A heavy chef knife could make your hand suffer. Too much lightweight also suffers cutting performance. It is essential to choose a chef knife’s weight that you feel would never be a burden for you.
- Balance – when you hold the knife, and you feel that something is off like the blade is too heavy or the handle, look for another chef knife. Be sure that this kitchen tool has the stability that could make your cutting life easier.
- Handle – do not choose a handle that feels slippery, especially when it is wet because this will only lead you into trouble. Choose a knife that you feel safe while holding and doing a cutting task. The grip must also feel good in your hand.
The cutting board, most commonly known as the chopping board, is one of the essential kitchen tools. We can say that a cutting board is a perfect partner for a knife. They work together at the same time to serve and help its user in preparing meals. The importance of a cutting board in a knife’s life is to prevent the blade’s damage and keeps it from being dull.
The cutting boards are maybe from wood, plastic, or stone. It is advisable to use a different chop board for additional preparation. Always remember that a good wooden cutting board could offer long time usage and best for chopping fruits and veggies. On the other hand, plastic chopping boards are best to use for meat. However, nowadays, where innovations and technology help us a lot in giving high-end kitchen tools, they also made cutting boards useful for both.
Things to consider in buying a cutting board
Cutting boards have a high probability of using it every day together with a knife. You deserve a durable and high-quality product that most likely wouldn’t let you down. To have in-depth knowledge about cutting boards, here is the buying guide that could help you.
- Size – The most recommended length for a cutting board is 20 inches long and 14 inches wide. Meats that are longer could use within this size. If you are mostly using smaller meaty parts, you can also try 15 inches long and 14 inches wide. The ideal thickness is ½ or 2 inches.
- Flexibility – Aside from buying different cutting boards made from additional material, you can also try to have both functions. Cutting board like has a side-by-side position is best recommended for such usage. You can use the other side for slicing meat and the other side for chopping veggies or fruit. It could save space and budget.
- Unique feature – look for a cutting board with a unique ability such as handling or saving juices from the meat you cut. Built-in handles can make your life easy in holding the tool. The juice trench can use if you prefer to make gravy from meat juice or other food preparation.
- Materials – as mentioned earlier, there are three common materials of cutting boards such as wood, plastic, and stones. Furthermore, always remember that the edge of a knife is essential, and we don’t want to damage it. Damaged edge because of our negligence in chopping it to hard marble would end their perfection. Keep in mind to better choose either of the three materials for the best result.
Instead of buying per piece cookware, we suggest going for a set. Aside from having uniformity, this could also save budget as you buy the different cookware types in one. Cookware set has a big help in food preparation, without these you couldn’t prepare a meal. Even you have an alternative such as small appliances like electric pots. Still, nothing beats the cookware.
Things to consider in buying a cookware set
We must admit that choosing a cookware set is pretty tricky. A wide range of products is tempting and confusing to the point we want to have them all. But wait, we have to be sure and wise. Look for the highlights of the product to make it stood among the rest. To help you, here is the guide that you can use.
- Durability – The most crucial key in choosing cookware is to know if it can serve you for a long time and possessed a beauty never worn out. Look for a product with this feature, and we assure you that it could save you from the hassle of changing your cookware from time to time.
- Maintenance – choose cookware that is easy to clean and maintain. Part of easy maintenance is the ability of this cooking tool not to trigger hard food stains. The best choice is nonstick; stainless steel generally looks shiny and clean. It is also easy to maintain. Copper cookware requires a pretty work in cleaning. However, in the end, it would look neat and untouched.
- Heat Transmission – in buying cookware, you must know the product you choose to administer heat. The best example for this is the copper made or cookware blended with copper are ideal heat conductor. It can react fast and could cook food evenly.
- Price – If you checked the key features above, it’s time to check the price if it’s worth investment. If you have doubt, then look for another one that worth its price. Please do not buy a cheap item because it is only reasonable. Consider the quality as well, even though you want to save and it’s out of your budget.
A colander is also known as cullender used to draining food such as veggies, fruits, pasta, and other foods that need to strain water or liquid. The concept of this kitchen tool is to remain the item inside while removing the water.
Moreover, a colander is also a useful kitchen tool, just like any other. Do not restrict this item for use only for selected draining purposes. There is another usage that you must know, such as draining canned food. Yes, you can use an alternative like using a fork and putting it on edge to control the solid stuff in coming out but hold it! You might accidentally spill all the food. Colander could save your food from total spilling. Admit it. It is necessary to have this kitchen tool.
Now you know the advantages, you must know the buying tips what to look for a colander. Here it is.
- Material – there are four materials the colander might make up: stainless steel, silicone, plastic, and porcelain over steel. These four materials differ in weight and durability. If you choose stainless steel colander, most likely they are pretty heavy, but the durability will exceed your expectation. Silicon colander is advisable for a small kitchen because of its portable and collapsible features. It is mostly used for noodles draining. Plastic colander, which is BPA-free, is not generally suggested because it cannot use for a long time. Porcelain colander is recommended as well, but not all the time. The reasons are it is vulnerable to dents and chipping.
- Sizes – consider colander with feet to make the water drained quickly. The ideal size would be 2.54 cm. The perfect diameter for a colander is 4 to 5 inches for those who usually wash small numbers of fruits or veggies.
Kitchen utensils are also essential in the everyday tasks in the kitchen. It is necessary to purchase a set rather than to go on pieces. Like the cookware set, this could provide uniformity and affordability. Here are some of the features you must bear in mind in buying these kitchen tools.
Things to consider in buying kitchen utensils
- Materials – stainless steel, silicone, and wood are commonly the materials that made up kitchen utensils. Besides the previous explanation about these three materials, it is better to choose within these three that are less risky in our cookware. If you have Teflon made cookware, silicone or wood made kitchen utensils are best for it because the ability to scratch the surface is low.
- If you go for a set, choose the group that all tools you need, like a ladle, whisk, masher, mixing spoon, slotted spoon, skimmer, spatula, turners, and tongs, are available. If there are more than that and you think it is essential to your cooking needs, you go for it.
*Peeler & Steel Grater
These two kitchen tools are also a must-have for food preparation. Peeler could use for easy skinning of vegetables and fruits. Steel graters are useful for grating cheese and fruits that we eat or drink any time of the day.
Things to consider in buying peeler & steel grater
- In buying these two kitchen tools, you must consider the sharpness, durability, and ability to resist corrosion. Sharp peeler and steel grater could make the life of the user at ease. It offers effortless and less hassle on hand in every use.
- It is also ideal to use a dishwasher to make the user’s life easy and convenient.
- Handles are must comfortable to grip and control.
- Versatility is also important. We all love a tool that we could use in different tasks. A steel grater with varying sizes of grates used in various grating tasks is a huge bonus.
Bowls is a round container generally use for food preparation and have wide usage in the kitchen. Depending on its material composition, it could also add another purpose. This kitchen utensil has different sizes for mixing, whipping, beating an egg, and many more.
Things to consider in buying a bowl
- Sizes – Choose a bowl that would fit its purpose. If you are going to use it for the batter, better choose deep curve and large bowls. If you are going to use it for making the salad, the best size for here is 8-quartz. Go for a set if you are planning to have more mixing tasks to do.
- Materials – Like any other kitchen tools, materials are also available in ceramic, porcelain, wood, and plastic. All materials offer different levels of durability and flexibility. Remember that the most crucial part here is, be sure that the bowl you will buy is lead-free.
*Food storage containers
These kitchen tools are useful for storing food, whether in the fridge or the cabinets. It is one of the essential tools that we must have. It could help the user organize and hold their food without spoiling it in an instant.
Things to consider in buying food storage containers
- Look for airtight containers. Mostly, they have a silicone gasket on the lid that ensures sealing and prevents leaking.
- Be sure that food storage is easy to open. It could save you from the hassle of a too-tight lid.
- Transparent containers the best choice to see what was inside quickly.
- Go for a set for uniformity and appealing designs.
Pepper mills are very useful in preparing food. Even we can use an alternative tool to grind pepper, it still best to have this. First, for a specific purpose, and second, fresh grind pepper is always and forever the best.
Things to consider in buying pepper mills
- Grinder material – carbon steel or ceramic mostly use as material in pepper mills. Both are effective and durable. The difference between these two is that ceramic is ideal for a grinder in terms of being rust-free, but it produces a less consistent grind. On the other hand, carbon steel is a bit vulnerable to corrosion but could create a great mill.
- Body – this part also must consider in your buying decision. You can either go for a transparent or not. However, whatever you choose, there are always drawbacks. The transparent body of pepper mills is glass or plastic that couldn’t be exposed directly to sunlight. It will only lose its savor. Wood bodies are perfect for storage. Nevertheless, you cannot see what is inside. You choose.
- Size – the ideal size for a pepper mill is 3 inches to 24. However, choose the size of the pepper mill that fits the space available in your kitchen.
FOR OUR TOP 10 KITCHEN TOOLS TO OWN!
OUR TOP PICK!
Product Name: Yoshihiro Mizu Yaki Honyaki Shiroko White Steel
Product Description: The #1 on our list is none other than the handmade elegant mirror-finished Yoshihiro Mizu Yaki Honyaki Shiroko White Steel chef's knife. Be awe at its fantastic cutting skill. Japan is known for its high-grade katana, and this kitchen tool is one of them. Honyaki means 'true forged.' It signifies Yoshihiro Mizu knife made by heating the metal until it can form and mold. Forged knives ' nature is easy to use and better in cutting performance. Though a bit heavy, it is well-balanced, and the weight wouldn't be a hindrance. We choose this kitchen tool as our #1 choice because it is the main utensil you must not miss in your kitchen. It possesses the versatility that a unique look in a chef's knife. The feature of this Gyuto knife is a curved blade that flawlessly moves forward and backward. Its lengthen tip is ideal for fast chopping tasks. Another feature of this knife is the blade material. It is white steel #2, which only means this knife is made from high-carbon steel and could sharpen until it was insanely razor-sharp. It has a double-edged angle as well-meaning, it is more lethal for cutting purposes. Octagon handles are easy to grip and control, made up of incredibly hard and dense ebony. All in all, this brand is one of the best that you should buy. Experience the professional level of cutting performance when using this.
Offer price: $$$
VALUE FOR MONEY
Yoshihiro Mizu Yaki Honyaki Shiroko White Steel is a kitchen tool that must be present in your kitchen. You deserve a beautiful, super sharp, and well-balanced chef’s knife like this.
It comes with a protected sheath named ‘Saya.’ Durable. Easy to use and hold. White steel #2.
Not stain resistant. Must clean as soon as possible.
Larch Wood Canada End Grain Carver's Cutting Board
Larch is one of the best cutting boards known in the kitchen tools industry and that is why we include it in our top 10 kitchen tools to own. It is measured 24 inches’ x 15 inches and 2 inches thick that is perfect for chopping meat and veggies. It is ideal for cooking enthusiasts, especially those who love using the meat’s juice for a different purpose. These cutting boards juice trenches would be beneficial for it.
It must not miss your kitchen as well. Imagine life without this; your chef’s knife life would be at stake. Though it is a bit expensive, you will see indeed what you paid. Despite its little weaknesses, it was still the crowd’s best choice, including us. The high-quality and high durability made it a star. It is undeniably useful and could use for a long time, as long as appropriately taken.
Also, the critical feature of this product is it has a self-healing layer. Thanks to its fibers aligned steeply and separately, it allows the knife and heals after cutting. We love this product’s unique characteristics, such as resistance to rot, durability, and the capacity to neutralize bacteria. Overall, Larch Wood Canada End Grain Carver’s Cutting Board must be part of your kitchen product line. You deserve to experience its best function.
Matfer Bourgeat Matfer 915901 8 Piece Bourgeat Copper Cookware Set
The Matfer Bourgeat is a family-owned company from France and one of the leading and most tested in providing high-caliber cookware set. This is one of the reasons why we choose this as our top 10 kitchen tools to own.
Having this in your kitchen is an opportunity that shouldn’t waste. A copper made cookware is used and trusted by more chefs worldwide, and acquiring this product is like a professional level.
This copper cookware is stainless steel coated that made it more robust. The shiny appearance and gloss design made it more appealing. If you are a cookware collector, you can consider this to include on your display lines.
Key features made us recommend its set lines: 11 inches brazier, seven 1/8-inch saucepan, 9 ½ flared saucepan, and 9 ½ inch casserole dish. Each item has lids that make the heating procedure fast and even. These eight sets are useful in the kitchen and a must-have. Perfect for sautéing and brazier.
In maintaining this kitchen tool, you won’t be having any problems. The stainless steel and copper that made-up this item are easy to preserve. After cooking, you can sparkle all sides by using the plain cloth.
If you have any issues and encountered any defects in these products, manufacturers will replace or repair them. However, if damages are by the user’s negligence or improper use, they will not include it.
Also, be warned. This item is not advisable to use a dishwasher. Must be clean and wash in soapy water and dried after.
All-Clad Stainless Steel Dishwasher Safe Colander
All-Clad didn’t fail us once again in providing one of the best kitchen tools. We recommend this product as a top 10 kitchen tools to own because of its high-end quality and flexibility. Its body and handles are stainless steel that provides a glossy and always shiny look. Also, it is rust free and safe to use in a dishwasher.
The size of this colander is 5-quartz. You can also consider its smaller size; however, 5-quartz is ideal and could do the more draining task. Holes are reasonably small, perfect for straining pasta, fruits, and veggies. We have to thanks the pedestal base so we could expect the stability of this product.
All-Clad Stainless Steel Colander is the right product that will make your kitchen life comfortable and convenient. The food that you are going to strain inside is safe while water is discharging freely. It weighs 4 pounds and very handy. It has a lifetime warranty for defects that is a massive bonus for this product. Overall, you should add this to your list to complete your kitchen tools. Make your life easy by using this in all your draining tasks.
OXO SteeL 15 Piece Utensil Set
This set will indeed save you from buying per piece kitchen utensils. OXO Steel has it all! It has an outstanding collection for food preparation and serving. We choose this as well as one of the top 10 kitchen tools to own because of that. The group includes a spoon, turner, slotted spoon, spaghetti server, lasagna turner, 12-inch tongs, and stainless steel flex turner. Stainless steel fish turner, pie server, pizza wheel, whisk, can opener, swivel peeler, and utensil holder are included as well for more added purposes.
OXO’s goal is to provide valuable a product that could use all types of home and kitchen tasks. They are efficient and effective on this one. From baking up to cooking, name it. All the products they made are indeed effective.
OXO Steel 15 Piece Utensil Set is a perfect example that gives and makes the user’s life simple. Expect the robust built because it is stainless steel. Handles are comfy, stylish, and non-slip.
Also, these kitchen tools are only hand wash. So be very careful because you might damage it. The utensil holder is also easy to maintain. It has a detachable water drip tray that you could easily take out and release the dripped water.
Overall, this product is a must-buy to make your life easy. The set is entirely for your daily cooking task. Let OXO eliminate your hassles on collecting each utensil one by one. Save your time and budget.
Commercial NEW speed peeler
This product that is from Japan will indeed add to your list of necessary kitchen tools. You don’t have to concern about transporting it since they are very much open to shipping outside their country though it will take time.
One of the exciting features of this kitchen tool and made its way to be one of the top 10 kitchen tools to own is its versatility. It is not only made for peeling the skin of veggies or fruits but could also use for fine shredding. The insane sharpness could offer fast peeling tasks. You can also detach the blade for cleaning or other purposes.
The weight of this kitchen tool is only 120 grams. Its lightweight ability made it easy to operate. The whole body and handle are stainless steel 18/8. Expect the ability to resist corrosion, glossy appearance, sturdiness, and stability of this product.
Though the OXO set has a peeler, it must include this kitchen tool because it has added features. Also, Commercial NEW Speed Peeler provides a big help on your peeling task and food preparation.
VonShef Nested Mixing Bowl Set
We choose this product as well to be on our top 10 kitchen tools because we know that this will complete your kitchen set. Like any other set of kitchen tools advantages, this group of bowls will save your time and effort to collect per piece. This robust product will help you in the mixing task, whether in batter or any other blending ingredients. It is much safer than plastic bowls as well.
The different VonShed Mixing Bowl sizes are 1.z, three, and 5-quartz, which are ideal on a different level of mixing jobs. The handles of these items are also their asset. It has a silicon handle and easy to hold. The nonslip base is beneficial for easy navigation and control.
Constructed by stainless steel, expect the durability and the ability to resist corrosion are at their finest. Another highlight of this product is its pouring spouts. Transferring the content won’t be problematic because of its well-balanced disperse ability. Cleaning and maintain this product is easy as well. If you are too tired from cooking, you can wash it in a dishwasher. Also, it is stackable, ideal for a small kitchen, and you can store it easily.
Cuisipro 6-Sided Box Grater
It is the perfect grated tool that you should add to your list! Its 6-sided grater offers an extensive range of grating experiences and purposes. It has six different sizes of grater blades that could be useful in other tasks.
We consider this a useful kitchen tool because it can use in almost all types of shredding tasks and a big help in your kitchen life. You don’t have to worry about acquiring different sizes of grater because it has it all.
The sharpness of this kitchen tool is superb, which makes every flawless and effortless grate. It works well on a small amount of food. Better set aside your food processor and replace this with Cuisipro 6-Sided Box Grater. It will save your space and your time in assembling your food processor and storing it again.
Overall, this grater is a must-added tool in your kitchen. You will never have a problem handling it, thanks for its nonslip handle. It is not vulnerable to corrosion, thanks to the stainless steel. Add on your cart so you can finally check it out.
OXO Good Grips 5-Piece Airtight POP Container Set
It is another excellent product from OXO that must include in your kitchen tools. This set helps you organize and store your food without spoiling them. You can use this on the fridge or in the cabinets as well.
The key features of this item are its airtight ability and space saver. Ideal for limited space and can pile it upward or whichever it can be. The unique feature that made this a star is the push-button method that generates airtight closure in just a single hint. If you have this in your kitchen, the pest infestation probability will indeed 0%. It could be one of the best ways to prevent mites, ants, and other pests.
The set includes one 2.1-quartz container, two 0.9 quart containers, one 1.5 quartz container, and one 0.3 quartz container. Each size is best for every type of food or ingredient you want to store. The transparent body offers you a visible appearance for the content and decides if you need to refill it.
However, do not restrict this food container’s ability to store food or ingredients. It is also versatile and can use as storage for other kitchen tools such as spoons, fork, or any utensils that are fit for them. Overall, this item is a massive help in your kitchen. Do not forget to include this on your shop lists.
Sage Kitchenware MEC Stainless Steel Black Pepper or Salt Mill Strong Ceramic Grinder Mechanism
This pepper mill will complete your top 10 kitchen tools list. Consider this as one of the essential tools that could provide a massive help on your cooking, dining, and grinding jobs. Though we can use mortar, it is best to use a pepper mill for convenience and consistency.
The Sage Kitchenware ensures the end-user that this pepper mill all materials are high-quality and offers high performance. Still, it is essential to carefully read the instruction before operating this product for the best care and result.
One of the highlights of this item is its ceramic grinding mechanism. It allows the user to prevent tacky circumstances with salt and ensures robustness and versatility. You can change the consistency of grind as well by using different settings. Locks are possible too at the bottom to avoid spills and residue.
The weight of this item is 8 ounces, easy to carry, and smooth in style. The transparent part is also a plus factor in this product. You can quickly know if it’s ready to refill.
All in all, the Sage Kitchenware MEX Stainless Steel Black Pepper or salt mill robust ceramic grinder mechanism is a flexible grinding tool that is necessary for our cooking life and worth to invest.
FREQUENT ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Why do we need to use the right tool for specific kitchen tasks?
A: Using the right tool for a particular task lessens the hassle and effort required. If you use a tool that didn’t match the job, it may help you do the job, but the result is unsatisfactory.
Q: What is the top way to take good care of kitchen tools?
A: Cleanliness is the best way to maintain your kitchen tools. Unhygienic ways of handling them may trigger corrosion, hard stain removal, and pest infestation. Start cleaning them as soon as you finish using it is the way to lengthen their lifespan.
Q: What is the number one kitchen tool that must own?
A: Knives are always the number one kitchen tool that shouldn’t miss in our kitchen. Without knives, our cutting and chopping jobs are entirely over.
So that’s our top 10 kitchen tools to own. We all know now that looking for perfect items are complicated because of numerous brands, designs, and purposes. However, the key in determining the best generally takes time. Do a lot of research, comparing the features and prices. As you narrow the choices, you will come up with the best list to save your life in everyday cooking and dining task.
Also, do not forget to know your items more. Please read the manual to learn their proper navigations and how to take good care of them correctly. This way, you will also know their other features that the market and reviewers did reveal. Always remember that little knowledge is not dangerous. Thus, it could save your from potential risk and troubles in handling your kitchen tools.